The flowers are blooming, the birds are serenading, and our homes may be feeling the winter blues. The time has come for spring cleaning.
Around the House
Wash windows inside and out & wipe down the sills. Remember to clean the window screens!
Dust or wash window treatments
Dust those hard to reach surfaces, ceiling fans, above kitchen cabinets and baseboards and doorways.
Wash out trash cans.
Move furniture away from walls and clean underneath.
Consider having your carpets professionally cleaned, steam clean tile grout or wax wood floors.
Clean upholstered furniture. Vacuum pillows, as well as underneath the cushions. Look for stains and clean according to the care label.
Have your furnace checked & ducts cleaned/replace filters.
Investigate all doors and windows for leaks and drafts, particularly near the corners.
Check your carbon monoxide detector & smoke detectors throughout the home. Replace batteries if needed.
Kitchen & Baths
Clean inside the refrigerator & self clean the oven.
Thoroughly clean the microwave including the filters.
Organize pantry and throw out any expired foods.
Replace or wash the shower curtain.
Deep clean the faucets, tub & toilets.
I personally prefer CLR for the tough jobs.
Check your mattress, flip if needed.
Change your bedding for spring / summer.
Organize your closet, out with the old & in with the new. Give it a good vacuum. Donate what clothing you don’t wear often.
Clean up the stack of papers on your desk – purge those unnecessary items.
Sweep porch and deck, as well as around doors and windows to get rid of cobwebs and debris.
Wash outdoor furniture.
Once you’ve begun your spring cleaning. You’re sure bound to come across a few things that could some TLC around the house.
What should every homeowner take into consideration when properly maintaining their home?
Miles Wood, Cutting Edge Remodeling has put together a checklist for you.
- Check the underside of your deck for any rot on the joists or support columns, also check the ledger board that mounts to the house
- Apply some pressure back and forth to the deck railing to ensure that the posts are in good condition
- Look for any cracked or peeling paint on the siding
- Inspect the caulking around windows and doors for any cracking
- Check the windows for any moisture between the panes of glass, a sign that the window needs to be replaced
- Ensure that the roof and gutters are free of debris
- Replace the filter in the HVAC system
- Check all the door knobs and make sure they function properly
- Inspect the faucets, and showers for any dripping water after they have been shut off
- Look for any cracked caulking around the bathtubs and shower walls
- Listen to the toilets for any running water while unused
- Open the cabinet doors below the kitchen and bathroom sinks to check for any water leaking from the drains or supply lines
- Replace any burnt out light bulbs
- Check for any cracks in the drywall
If everything checks out, that just means you can spend the repair money on projects that will be enjoyable! Some of the more popular projects from last year were basement remodels, garages with finished interiors, media rooms, and outdoor living spaces. The best part is that all of these can add value to your home. Here is more information about Miles Woods Company on Sammamish KOMO.
The Cascade Team
Full Service for 1 percent listing fee