After the holidays, buyers tend to start getting more aggressive with their house hunting. Search activity usually peaks around March or April in most states, according to a new study of home searches from 2007 to 2012 conducted by Trulia.
In September, searches slow down. By December buyer searches ebb to their lowest point of the year.
“Home-search activity swings with the seasons in every state,” says Jed Kolko, chief economist of Trulia. “Buyers and sellers can use these ups and downs to their advantage. Sellers looking for the most buyers should list when real estate search traffic peaks. Buyers, however, should think about searching off-season, when there is less competition from other searchers.”
The study revealed seasonal patterns of search activity state to state. Here are the months when online real estate searches peak in every U.S. state:
- January: Hawaii
- February: Florida
- March: Arizona, California, Delaware, Georgia, Idaho, Iowa, Kentucky, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Washington
- April: Colorado, Connecticut, District of Columbia, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Minnesota, New York, North Dakota, South Dakota, Utah, West Virginia, Wisconsin
- May: Real estate activity does not peak in any state
- June: Mississippi
- July: Alabama, Alaska, Arkansas, Louisiana, Maine, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, North Carolina, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Vermont, Wyoming
- August: Montana and Oregon
- September-December: Real estate activity does not peak in any state
Source: “Trulia Reveals Best Home-Searching Season,” HousingWire (Jan. 29, 2013)
Home prices are beginning to rebound with some areas increasing from 3% to 16% over the past 12 months. If you have not done an accurate check of your homes value in the past year, our FREE On-Line Home Value Analysis tool allows you to see exactly what your home value is doing.It’s not a guess or Zestimate like Zillow. These are actual Sold, Pending and Active prices. You can also see what home inventory levels area doing, closed sale price vs asking price and more! Click Here to get the report emailed to you.
It’s not a guess or Zestimate like Zillow. These are actual Sold, Pending and Active prices. You can also see what home inventory levels area doing, Closed Sale price vs/ Asking Price and more!
It's absolutely FREE and there is no obligation. Fill out the form HERE to receive a real time MLS report on active and sold home in your area.
Full Service Real Estate with 1% Listing Fees!!