By Destination Home
Most upgrades, renovations, and home improvement projects raise a home’s resale value. But in this episode of Destination Home Sabrina Soto, host of HGTV’s "The High/Low Project," reveals five renovations that can do just the opposite.
That is, Soto qualifies, if you're planning on selling in the next five years. “If you’re going to stay in your home for a long time, do whatever makes you happy — surround yourself with Pepto Bismol pink if that's what you like,” she tells Destination Home. But if resell value matters, here’s what to avoid:
1) Converting bedrooms into other spaces: If potential homebuyers "see it’s a four-bedroom house, they want to go to the open house and see four bedrooms. You have to take the guesswork out,” says Soto. If you do convert a room, there's one feature you should absolutely never mess with. Watch the video to find out what that is.
2) Hot tubs: Soto thinks inheriting someone else’s hot tub is a turn-off — and she’s not alone. “You’d be surprised how many potential buyers find them to be a little gross.” And once a hot tub is installed, it's not an easy feature to remove from a deck or backyard.
3) Colored trim and textured walls: It seems like any potential homebuyer would see these features and know they can easily paint over them, but not so fast, says Soto. “I would much rather paint walls than trim any day — it's a beast of a job,” she says. And textured walls are "a mess to sand down and remove. The fad is over anyway, so just let it go.” If you feel your trim is outdated, see the video for Soto’s tips on what to do.
4) Children's theme bedrooms: Spending hundreds of dollars on a mural for your child's wall is throwing money away. Not only will they outgrow it in a matter of years, but “you're never going to get that money back when you sell, so just keep it neutral,” posits Soto.
5) Too much landscaping: Conventional wisdom says you want your yard to look as nice as possible, but heed Soto’s warning: you want to “keep up with the Joneses — but don’t exceed them.” To a potential buyer, gorgeous, overdone landscaping screams high-maintenance.
We’ll Handle the details so you can take care of what’s important. Family, Work and Play
800-509-6905 (Office) 425-996-9520 (Fax) www.thecascadeteam.com
Enjoy our "Responsive" Website on any device!
Posted by The Cascade Team Real Estate on
Leave A Comment